Thursday, June 23, 2011

An impromptu day in Moscow

This cheloveck was chilling hard on the Arbat. Vova has seen him before and says he made that instrument by hand. His own design. It has an incredibly ambient sound, one that transcends human classifications of time and history. Just straight up music. If I could pick any sound for the Arbat it would be this thing. It fit that street like a glove.













This dude again... dig it













Vova, Anton, and I in front of Kievsky Vokzal (station). Beautiful day.













Decided to come to Moscow to get away from the mosquitos, take a shower, see the doc about my ailing stomach, and maintain in general. Vova and I hitched a ride with a friend and spent today walking all over the city. We checked out a couple memorials and saw such famous Moscow sites as Patriarch's Pond, and the Arbat (Bulgakov shout out). We met Vova's best friend in Moscow (Anton, a smashing chap) after enjoying the serenades of Moscow's finest street musicians and dope smokers. The World Press 2011 photography contest is displayed in Moscow until the 10th of July so we hit that up and got a nice dose of perspective. The general atmosphere in the gallery, with people viewing some 40 odd photos consisting of every tragedy befallen to mankind in the past 12 months, was of repentance for petty worries and muddled reactions to events none of us could truly understand. But... maybe I am just projecting. I found it hard to keep my jaw not dropped. A beautiful collection of photographs, I recommend them. After the exhibition we strolled down the starry (old) Arbat and took in the Moscow mid afternoon. That street reminded my of Ithaca. It is an attraction for tourists while also being a center for sub-cultures in Moscow. Cool to see. Tonight we are chilling, eating, interneting. My mind is cloudy so whoever can tell and cares will have to not care so much for a bit. Enjoy the pics!

P.S. didn't have a camera most of the day so forgive the lack of diversity with the pics.

4 comments:

  1. Nice day in a nice way :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice photos. That instrument looks like it is really fun and soothing to play. Chilling at home and making some dank salmon chowder. Gramma got me some sweet shoes today and a new shirt. I look more presentable now. Glad you are enjoying Moscow as a young adult. I'm sure impressions of the city and culture are now changing. I'll have to explore the place myself in the future. Take care and we're all looking forward to seeing you home! Be safe and go well. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Peter. It's Dad. Glad you got a break in Moscow. Making a delicious fish stew for dinner...some of us will eat it as prepared; one of us will eat it like baby food. Can't wait to see you. Love from Dad

    ReplyDelete
  4. See you,brother!
    (Vova)

    ReplyDelete